Saturday, September 16, 2006

I forgot where I live


So usually when we close the store at work whoever's in charge plays a CD over the intercom. Most of the time it is something horrific. For example....we had this CD we gave away for buying various cleaning products. It was supposed to cheer you up while you cleaned. The title of the CD is.... are you ready?

"Good Clean Fun".

It sucked. It had crap like the Barenaked Ladies and the B-52's on it. All this upbeat junk that I had to listen to at the end of my shift. Oh God, it was horrible. And it was played constantly. As an indication as to how much I hated this CD I googled it to try and find out what was on it and I typed in "Good Clean Gun", which is what I wish I had when I was force-fed that noise.

Anyway the musical selections have improved somewhat, although now there's an 80's CD that's made way too many appearances at closing time. So yesterday I decided to put together a mix of different stuff. I was operating under the assumption that if I put in a wide variety of music the CD would please everyone. So I put stuff like the Ramones, Pearl Jam, James Brown, Etta James, Tribe Called Quest, Johnny Cash, Santana, Sublime, The Temptations, Janis Joplin, some Puerto Rican music, The Beatles....all this different stuff. And people complained! There were some who kept telling me the whole CD should've been country. That's when I remembered where I was. Good Ole Tennessee! I was trying to expand some horizons, you know? Instead I felt like Prometheus (look it up). "I brought them something good... and this is the thanks I get!" It wasn't a total loss, though, not everyone hated it. Still, if they didn't like it they can go back to listening to "Good Clean Gun".

I mean "Fun".

8 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since when do you listen to Johnny Cash?

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Antonio said...

Man, if I lived in a place like Tennessee, I would totally want to forget I lived there. At least until college football rolls around.

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's gotta be better than Oklahoma

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TN + OK = Right and Left armpit of america.

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dif'rent folx, dif'rent strokez

 
At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it was part of the Bible Belt, as if it were some kind of "belt" in outerspace

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the idiotic rituals of retail hell...I see that it hasn't changed in the 10 years since I walked out from Blockbuster Music...but you still have good taste in music Dave!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger The D said...

So...were you tied to a rock and had a vulture eat your liver over and over for all eternity?

Who does not know about Prometheus bringing fire to man? But, I think the analogy is wrong, because man benefited from his gift. I think Sisyphus would be a better person to describe your toil. You tricked those ignorant southerners!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home