Monday, February 19, 2007

I love cars




My car hasn't been starting lately. I figured it was the starter because the battery is fine. At least I thought it was. So this past Sunday I took a ride out to Smyrna, where my uncle used to live, to see his ex-wife's son so he could help me figure out what the problem was. Zach, my uncle's ex-wife's son, works at one of those auto stores and has probably forgotten more about cars than I know.

Since my car hasn't been starting, I've had to get someone to help me push it so I could pop the clutch and get it going. When I got to Zach's store, I parked at the end of the parking lot so I could push it if it didn't start again. Zach tested the battery with a portable machine, which told him to retest it with the larger machine inside the store. So we yanked the battery out of my car and I waited around for 30 minutes while the battery got tested. The machine informed me I needed a new battery, which I thought was weird since the battery was not even two years old. It still had a warranty on it so Zach told me to just take it over to where I bought it and get a new one. He put it back in my car and I was getting ready to start pushing it but when I turned the key it started up. I thought it was because the battery had been charged some and was relieved because I didn't want to pay for a new starter.

I drove up the road to the other store and asked them to check out the battery so I could get a replacement. They told me to bring the car around and I went out to the parking lot and the car started again, which was good. The guy told me to pop the hood and leave the engine on and I said ok and got out of the car to see what he was doing.

Big mistake.

My mind went on autopilot for a second. Normally when I get out of my car I get out of the seat, lock the door, stand up, and close the door in one fluid motion without thinking. I did the same exact thing this time, which would've been ok if my keys weren't still lodged firmly in the ignition. With the engine running. And the gas needle on E.

I did get a little bit lucky because I realized what I was doing as I was swinging the door closed so it didn't shut all the way. It still clicked but there was enough space between the door and the car to stick a hanger or something inside and try to open the lock. I tell the guy testing my car that my keys are locked inside and I needed something to get inside the car. He seemed amused as he told me he'd go look for something in the store. I waited around for a while for him to get back when I spotted a dollar store. I decided to go over there and purchase some wire hangers so I could try to get in the car myself. By the time I get back to my car, the guy from the store is back with a ridiculously short metal rod with a hook at the end. He says it's too short. I was already aware of that fact.

So he leaves me to try and open the door by myself because he has to help his customers and I stand out there, in the cold, for 20 or 30 minutes trying to hook the hanger on the lock and save myself further embarrassment. After several close calls I finally manage to open the door. I go back inside and the guy comes back out to test the battery. I turn the car off. He informs me the battery is fine. Confusion ensues. I ask him if he's sure, he says yes. So I say, ok, and get back in my car to drive back to Zach's store and ask him what was going on. I turn the key in the car and I get nothing. Anger ensues. I get the guy to give me a push and I get the car started by popping the clutch again.

I drive to Zach's and have to turn off my car so he can test the battery again. This time his portable machine says it's ok. Confusion, with a dash of exasperation, ensues. So this time he says it could very well be the starter, which sucks because replacing the battery would've been free. I get ready to ask him if he can help me push the car to get it started when he says he wants to try something. He goes inside and comes back out with a short metal rod and a mallet. He positions one end of the rod on the starter and gives the other end a couple whacks. I get in the car and it starts right up. Sure, why not? All this trouble and all I had to do was whack the damn thing with a hammer. I could've done that at home hours ago.

Stil, I was a little relieved that we figured out what the problem was but I knew I still had to get it replaced. Weird thing is I haven't had any problems starting it up since he gave it those whacks. I figure I'll wait a week and see what happens. Man, I hate cars. Sometimes I wish we could travel around in tubes. But the lines would be too long because everyone would want to ride them. And you know there would be kids messing around all over the place, trying to ride in the tubes without taking the proper safety precautions. Damn kids.

So that was my Sunday. How was yours?

Anyway here are some more videos from PR. The first one is my conservative sister receiving a gift from my liberal brother. The second one is a shot of a waterfall in El Yunque. Enjoy.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tktjo7

http://www.sendspace.com/file/x3ifp0

7 Comments:

At 12:14 AM, Blogger Dave said...

I have no idea where that first comment came from. Spam on my blog. Wonderful.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger The D said...

What adds to the humour is that you already use Firefox.

Hell, you would have to be a fool not to use it.

So...you didn't follow the first rule of mechanics? Did you not watch Star wars?

If it does not work.......

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

I could've came up with a better name than kugar88821

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Josue' said...

spam-a-lot lives on and on...till the break of dawn....

as far as the vids go, I am sure that Qur'an is on its way to being the best paperweight she ever had.... :p

The waterfall is nice.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger The D said...

She actually read the whole thing in a few weeks.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Dave said...

And she still hates Muslims, right?

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger The D said...

Pretty much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home