Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Poker? I don't even know her!





So last Tuesday I was invited to a friend's house to play some Texas Hold 'Em. The buy-in was $10 but you were given an opportunity to buy back in for another $10 if you lost all your money.

I lost all my money.

So I buy back in and this guy puts me all in with a king showing on the flop. I had a king with a nine kicker. As soon as he said "all-in" I said "call". He also had a king, but his kicker was a 10. I lost, I was pissed. I did have fun, though, and I learned a couple things that I was sure to use next time we played.

So last night we played again. I bought in for $10 and was given the opportunity to buy back in for another $10 if I lost all my money.

I didn't lose all my money.

In fact, this time I was one of the last two players left. The guy that put me out of the game last Tuesday got what was coming to him. I beat him worse than he beat me, which was great. The flop showed a 4, 5, and 6. He went all-in and I called him right away because I had a straight, which is what I thought he had. I was right, but I had a 7 and an 8 and he had a 2 and a 3. I was ecstatic. He was not. Fuhgeddaboudit, Whaddayagonnadoo, ah?

So after he left it was down to two players. I thought I was gonna win the whole thing cause I had been playing well the whole night. Unfortunately for me it was getting late so we decided to call the game and walk with whatever we had. I bought in for $10 and walked with $100. I'd say it was a good improvement from last week.

UPDATE: I played again last night (Thursday). A good time was had by all and 100% of the proceeds went to the Eduardo Maeso Foundation. A very worthy cause. Everyone was wearing brown ribbons, which is the symbol for that charity. Anyway, this time we played till the end and I walked with all the cash. I bought in for $10 and left with $80. I guess I'm not that bad at poker. On the other hand, I might not get invited back since I'm taking everyone's money. We shall see.

12 Comments:

At 5:47 AM, Blogger Antonio said...

Last poker game I played, I was in the top 4 (out of around 9 people). I'm feeling lucky, so I'm going to Atlantic City on Saturday. Wish me luck!

 
At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am teh suck @ poker

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Josue' said...

I don't play card games of any kind....I'm not sure what is a worse use of air time on ESPN..Poker tournaments or Bass Fishing...Equally bad to watch although I'd much rather fish than sit and play cards.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Thanks for the comments, Josue, I appreciate your support.

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger The D said...

He sounds like a man who does not take risks...which is totally unexpected.

By the by, Dave, Gambling is Harām! Better watch yourself!

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Josue' said...

dave,
I'm all for supporting your impermissible (according to Muslim law) addictions. :P

d,
Risk is fine. Cards are boring.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Dave said...

It's not an addiction. I've played twice. I'm not in the hole so that's a good thing. I could play for three more weeks and lose and I'd come out even. But I don't plan on losing.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Josue' said...

You don't plan on losing, eh? That's what they all say. :p

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger The D said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

did i just hear the money toilet flush?

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger The D said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

uhhh, I wonder what the deleted comment said

 

Post a Comment

<< Home